A digital twinning in the AEC industry is a dynamic replica of a physical asset, enhancing project delivery & operations in the built environment.
Digital twin is a product of BIM, where BIM integrates data during the design-build process. Through digital twinning, practical data is used for facility operations and maintenance. ”— Sukh SinghWASHINGTON DC, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA , USA, October 5, 2021 /EINPresswire.com/ — A digital twinning in the construction, engineering, and architectural industry constitutes to be a dynamic replica of a physical asset. The technology collates design and real-time data for informed decision making. The holistic representation of the facility and the process structure is what a digital twin technology. The data-based business processes ensure detailed insights into an actual process, serving as a base for planning and forecasts.
Evolution of the Technology:
· The concept was developed by David Gelernter in his book ‘Mirror Worlds’ (1991) with Michael Grieves from Florida Institute of Technology.
· In 2002, Grieves moved to the University of Michigan when he introduced a Society of Manufacturing Engineers session in Troy, Michigan.
· NASA first embraced the digital twin concept and in the 2010 Roadmap Report, John Vickers of NASA gave the concept a new name to create simulations of space capsules as well as a craft for testing.
· In 2017, Gartner named it as the top strategic technology trend. Since then, the idea has been used in a wide array of industrial applications and processes.
The Vice President of a BIM Company mentioned – “Digital construction involves the application of tools for enhancing the delivery and operating in the built environment. This facilitates in making the delivery, operation and renewal of design built environment safer, efficient and collaborative.”
Significance of digital twinning in design-build construction:
· Digital construction management, through BIM and a connected data environment, enables detailed views of project phases, avoiding problems.